Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Entry #482

Time: 1: 42 pm
Location: The park across from Stop 'n Shop Grocery. Out of the hole.
Temperature: 23˚ Celsius
Humidity: 41% 


I will never become a plant. They have too much time to think. And I have not been blessed with the ability to turn sunlight into energy. 


Time: 1:44 pm
Location: Same
Temperature and Humidity: Same


I am, however, quite gifted at turning sunlight into blisters. Ow.


Time: 1:45 pm
Location: Same
Temperature and Humidity: Same


I'm hungry.


Time: 1:46 pm
Location: Same
Temperature and Humidity: Same


What do I have to eat? I finished the canned peaches last night, and pickled asparagus is only good with fish. And, quite frankly, I would trust fish caught out of the old industrial lake more than the ones from the grocery store.


Time: 1:47 pm
Location: Same
Temperature and Humidity: Same


Dead fish shouldn't move. Ever.


Time: 1:51 pm
Location: Walking across Calloway to the Vietnamese Restaurant
Temperature and Humidity: Same


As little as I trust the restaurants in this town (or really restaurants in general – who knows where they get their vegetables?), I trust the grocery store even less. Besides, I haven't eaten out in 20 years. It's time to live a little.


Time: 2:00 pm
Location: Vietnamese Restaurant, in a booth
Temperature: 22˚ Celsius
Humidity: 38% 


I forgot that I hate eating out. Everyone's so servile – it's like a regression to the Dark Ages. And nothing good came out of the Dark Ages. Except crop rotation. But they stole that, so it doesn't count.


Time: 2:01 pm
Location: Same
Temperature and Humidity: Same


Oh, hell. Here comes the waiter. Now I'll have to order:


"Please, Mistress, how can I serve you?"


"Bring me Pho Tom, cur, or feel my wrath"


"Of course, Mistress. I live to serve"


And he will leave smiling, despite the fact that I have treated him little better than a slave. People are idiots.


Time: 2:03 pm
Location: Same
Temperature and Humidity: Same


Blech. I feel...dirty. Which is strange – I wouldn't feel anything at all if this waiter was hit by a bus tomorrow. I'd probably say it was his own damn fault.


Time: 2:04 pm
Location: Same
Temperature and Humidity: Same


That's the other thing I hate about eating out. People.


Time: 2:06 pm
Location: Same
Temperature and Humidity: Same


There's a disgusting old man with an eyepatch wolfing down dumplings. His eyes keep darting around the room – just like a nervous bird picking picking at seeds while there's a hawk circling.


Time: 2:07 pm
Location: Same
Temperature and Humidity: Same


Oh. No. Not like a bird. He's got chunks of dumpling oozing down into his beard.


Time: 2:13 pm
Location: Same
Temperature and Humidity: Same


It's sickening. I'm actually losing my appetite.


Time: 2:16 pm
Location: Same
Temperature and Humidity: Same


And the soup isn't helping. I don't know what's swimming in with the rice noodles, or even if it ever swam, but those rubbery bits certainly aren't shrimp. 


Time: 2:18 pm
Location: Same
Temperature and Humidity: Same


I'm going home. Pickled asparagus may be less than ideal, but at least it won't give me some horrible septic disease.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The walk to the bus takes forever.
    That lucky drugged up guy lands a few feet away from me in a splatter of blood. So it goes.
    A woman was struck by lightning and burnt to a crisp. God was right; in the end, we can't make a difference.
    That painfully normal lady with the plants crosses over to the fountain.
    That guy with the staff stands in the middle of the basketball court, casting spells. What the fuck.
    While I wait for the bus, I contemplate writing a book when I'm not working my 9 to 5. I contemplate living a little. Whatever. All my dreams will come true.
    The bus arrives, and I get on. I'm on my way to an office or a factory or a school. Heather works, but she'd make more money if she were a boy. And if I were smarter, I wouldn't teach. But I'm not as smart as I could be.
    The bus pulls away, and nobody saw, heard from, or cared for Leeroy Jenkins again.

    ReplyDelete