Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Entry #475

Time: 6:37 am
Location: Bus 52 towards Watershed Heights
Temperature: 22° Celsius
Humidity: 55%

     Buses make me queasy. Why am I looking down? 

Time: 6:40 am
Location: Outside Watershed Heights, surrounded by boxes.
Temperature and Humidity: Same


     The manager isn't awake yet. There aren't any lights on. Strange. It's nearly 7:00!
     Never mind. There's a rusty door around the side, and it's unlocked, I think. It should lead into the basement, if the steps down are any indication. I'll just go and get my boxes.


Time: 7:03 am
Location: Third step down the flight of stairs leading to the basement of Watershed Heights
Temperature and Humidity: Same


     Oooooo! There's a fine Polytrichum commune growing between the steps! I was not expecting this sort of society right outside my door. Bryophytes make wonderful neighbors - he and I shall be great friends, I'm sure. 
     Oh dear. I've left the clothes box in a puddle. I do hope that the bottom won't rip out...I can't imagine 20 pounds of someone's laundry falling on one's head as making an excellent first impression. I so want to start things out on the right foot.


Time: 7:20 am
Location: Watershed Heights basement
Temperature: 20° Celsius
Humidity: 21.5%


     The accommodations here are simply stunning. The door to the outside is on the west wall, which is covered in the most fantastic crop of mildew I have ever seen. The foundation is cracking a little near a pile of rotting boards in the northeast corner, probably because there's a root (or maybe it's a spiderweb. I can't tell) forcing its way through the concrete. I hope it isn't a root. The poor plant must be quite confused. There's various bits of garbage scattered about, but I should be able to compost most of it, once I find my formulae. 
    The cast-iron coal-burning furnace in the corner is a bit creepy. It will probably try and eat me while I sleep.  
     
Time: 7:25 am
Location: Watershed Heights basement
Temperature and Humidity: Same


I wonder if there's a hardware store around. I need to buy potting soil and 2x4s.


Time: 7:29 am
Location: Watershed Heights basement
Temperature and Humidity: Same


     I should get a humidifier for the mildew, too. It isn't nearly moist enough, poor thing.


Time: 7:30 am
Location: Watershed Heights basement, near the foundation crack
Temperature and Humidity: Same


     I wonder if the manager would mind me digging a hole in the foundation. 


Time: 7:37 am
Location: Watershed Heights basement, in the pile of boxes inside the door
Temperature and Humidity: Same


     I can't find the box with my compost formulae and Cornell doctorate.


Time: 7:38 am
Location: Watershed Heights basement, under the pile of boxes
Temperature and Humidity: Same


     Where are my compost formulae? I NEED them.
     Did I lose them in the airport? No. I still have all my boxes. I think.
     NO! One is missing!
     
Time: 7:39 am
Location: Same
Temperature and Humidity: Same


     I wonder whatever happened to that botany undergrad who helped me carry my things through the airport? He was so nice, and asked some very intelligent questions about my book...particularly the compost chapter. 
     The sneaky bastard. If I ever find him, I'll teach him about compost first-hand. We'll see if he still likes it so well when it's HIS flesh decomposing.


Time: 7:40 am
Location: On the floor of the Watershed Heights basement, near the boxes.
Temperature and Humidity: Same


     I might have left them on the subway. I should make reward posters. But what would motivate people? 


Time: 7:45 am
Location: Same
Temperature and Humidity: Same


     I'll give them one of the Passiflora edulis seedlings. Everyone likes passion fruit, and they make lovely companions. Such a nice sense of humor.


1 comment:

  1. So, I'm peeing/pissing/living down the slide, when I feel like I'm being watched. Call it a sixth sense, if you will. I look up from my stream of waste and corruption to meet eyes with an elderly lady waiting at the bus stop, rather nondescript looking. Maybe a little nervous. She was kinda pretty in that way, I guess. She seemed to be thinking quickly. I could see it. Every few minutes.
    10:15: Where the Hell is the bus?
    10:18: Who is this strikingly handsome naked man, and why is he pissing everywhere?
    Like that. Told you I was observant, but I don't have to prove it to you. Damn, I'm still pissing. I had to go. And she's just watching, kind of disgusted I guess. Just watching. I did a lot of that in my single-serving home. I try to think of something deep to say ("Hey, how are you?"), and this is what I come up with...
    "What? Haven't you ever wanted to watch the worst parts of you just float away?"
    Not bad, huh? Oh, come on, I know I could've done better, but it's in the little things, right? And I was pissing down a slide. I could've said, "Impressed?"

    ReplyDelete